Chronic Disease Self-Management
The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program – “Living Healthy with Chronic Conditions” is a community workshop designed to give people with chronic conditions (such as arthritis, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, asthma, etc.) and/or their caregivers the knowledge and skills needed to take a more active role in their health care.
The workshop emphasizes the individuals role in managing their lifestyle and builds self-confidence so that they can be successful in adopting healthy behaviors. “Living Healthy with Chronic Conditions” helps people with chronic conditions change their behaviors, learn healthier ways to live, manage their chronic conditions and feel more positive about life.
Healthful behaviors addressed in “Living Healthy”workshops include:
- Techniques for dealing with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation;
- Exercises for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance
- Nutrition education
- Appropriate use of medications
- Coping skills
- Cognitive symptom management
- Communicating effectively with health professionals.
Workshops are held once a week for 2.5 hours for six weeks.
Questions? Want to find a workshop near you? Contact Betty Flagg at (352) 378-6649, ext 119, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.