This program empowers older adults to take control of their diabetes. The training emphasizes the individual’s role in managing their lifestyle and builds self-confidence so that they can be successful in adopting healthy behaviors. DSMP helps individuals with diabetes or pre-diabetes and their caregivers, better manage their condition.
- Monitoring blood sugar
- What to do on sick days
- Communicating effectively
- Healthy eating
- Reading food labels
- Menu planning
- Techniques for dealing with problems; i.e. frustration, fatigue, pain & isolation
- Exercises for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility & endurance
- Increased knowledge of diabetes
- Increased self-management skills (starting with self-monitoring)
- Adherence to care plan
- Reduced HbA1c levels
- Reduced complications
- Better communication with providers
- Improved standards of care
- Greater satisfaction with care
- Improved emotional well-being
- Short and long term behavioral change
- Better management of psychosocial issues
Classes are held once a week, 2.5 hours long, six weeks in length.
Upcoming Classes & Who to Contact to Register?
Interested? Questions? Contact Betty Flagg at (352) 378-6649, ext 119 or via e-mail at email@example.com.